Archive

Category Archives for "Supplements"

The Best-Tasting Protein Powders For Men In 2018, Rated and Reviewed

Obviously, protein powder is a godsend and one of the best solutions if you want quick and easy bursts of protein throughout the day.

But while protein powder is efficient and reliable, many powders taste awful, and if they don’t they’re often full of GARBAGE. 

With protein powder being a daily part of my diet and probably your diet, there is literally no reason to be choking down a shitty tasting powder every day.

There’s some good options out there now!

>> CLICK TO JUMP TO OUR REVIEWS OF THE BEST TASTING PRODUCTS <<

I’m going to walk you through our top picks for powders that are delicious, BUT I’m not going to talk about any gimmicky, marketing-BS products.

Just like I’m not choking down a bad tasting powder every day, I’m not drinking a delicious but horribly-made and dangerous protein, either.

Rating The Top 4 Best Tasting Protein Powders

Rank

Whey Protein Powder

Protein/Serving

Our Rating

Price

#1. 

(EDITOR'S CHOICE)

24g

#2. 

22g

#3. 

20g

#4.

25g

How Can You Choose the Best-Tasting Protein Powder?

People often look at the nutritional benefits and calorie content of protein powders before making a purchase. In fact, it’s where we always start, and it’s the non-negotiable aspect for us.

While this is essential, you could still end up with a supplement that you don’t drink because it tastes lousy. That’s a waste of money and it sucks.

Flavor

Protein powders come in different flavors ranging from vanilla, chocolate, and cookie dough to orange, lemon, cake batter, peanut butter, and everything in between. Research is your best bet to see which flavors are hits or misses. Since flavor is such a personal preference, individual reviews are hard to trust.

What we like to do is start simple. To me, protein is not a luxury product I’m going to go out and spend a million hours trying to find a flavor that’s as complex as a teenage girl’s Starbucks order.

I don’t necessarily care for a fancy “french toast” flavor or something.

So, going the basic route like chocolate should be good.

HOWEVER, if you do want to try all these flavors, buy the smallest container first, to make sure you like it.

I once bought a 5 pound tub of ON in a flavor I hadn’t tried before and the next 2 months of downing that stuff SUCKED. 

Go small first.

Types of Mixers

Most products mix well with water. Water doesn’t have any effect on the taste of the protein supplement. It’s a good option if you want to avoid the extra calories that come with other mixers.

Milk is another conventional mixer with numerous advantages. It has casein and whey (protein constituents), which play a significant role in muscle building and repair, and will make your formula a bit thicker. Given that milk adds more calories to the protein powder, it allows for quicker mass gaining.

However, milk has lactose (just like milk-based proteins), a compound that some people are allergic to. If you’re lactose-intolerant and drinking a plant-based protein or a beef protein, you might consider almond or soy milk. Typically, it has all the benefits of milk as a mixer. 

Maybe don’t put a fruit flavored powder into milk, and if you want a super creamy rich experience, don’t waste it in water.

Sources of Protein

There are different types of protein-rich foods including beef, milk, chicken, eggs, and fish. They have high amounts of amino acids but also may be high in fat and calories. Those are a good option for mass gaining but aren’t optimal for someone trying to lose weight. 

Another type of protein is vegetable protein, including foods such as soy, nuts, flax, rice, beans, and peas, among others. They have a relatively low amount of fat and are best for those who’d like to maintain or lose weight. Conversely, if you want to mass gain, vegetable protein may not be right for you. Vegetable protein could be the best option if you’re lactose- or gluten-intolerant.

Whichever protein source you choose, make sure that it provides 20 to 30 grams of protein per serving. Avoid those with high fat and carbs. Below 5 grams is acceptable.

Types of Protein

There are three major types of proteins: concentrates, isolates, and casein.

Isolates are created by separating protein (and also non-protein) components in order to “isolate” the desire protein. Whey isolate, is the most common isolate protein. It’s a high-quality protein with a lot of amino acids and plays a huge role in stimulating muscle protein synthesis. Whey isolate is fast-digesting, easily absorbed, and is suitable for use immediately after a workout to replenish muscles. Whey can also be a concentrate protein.

Concentrates “are a human or animal dietary supplement that has a very high protein content and is extracted or prepared from vegetable or animal matter.”

Casein is a milk protein and is skimmed off separated milk, then dehydrated and powdered. Casein is synthesized slowly and raises plasma amino acid content slowly compared to a concentrate protein.

Knowing what type of protein you’re looking for will help you when choosing a protein powder.

Advantages of Protein Powder Supplements

  • Proteins help in the development of enzymes, nucleic acids, and immune components. If you’re working out hard, you may need more than an average daily protein dose to help your muscles repair themselves. Supplements fill that gap.
  • Protein powder supplements take around 30 minutes to reach the muscles. Therefore, they deliver quicker muscle healing and development during and after workouts.
  • They help reduce cholesterol and lipid levels in the body.
  • Protein powders, particularly those with whey, help lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of contracting cardiovascular diseases.

The 4 Best Casein Proteins (Reviews Below)

Rank

Whey Protein Powder

Protein/Serving

Our Rating

Price

#1. 

(EDITOR'S CHOICE)

24g

#2. 

22g

#3. 

20g

#4.

25g

Ratings & Reviews Of The Our Picks

So, what are your options for the best-quality AND best-tasting protein powder?

Protein

24g

Price

$

Our Rating

You’ve probably heard of ON Whey, right?

It’s got twenty-four grams of whey protein, 5.5 grams of natural BCAAs, and 4 grams of natural glutamine in every serving. It’s legit, it’s well made, it’s trusted, it mixes well.

It’s the best value and quality option out there, basically.

In terms of flavors, it’s got A TON of flavors. Like, 20 or something crazy on Amazon. 

Everything from cake batter (wtf?) to french vanilla to strawberry banana. 

However, just because there’s so many, doesn’t mean they’re all delish.

In fact, I had a sad day one day when I bought Extreme Milk Chocolate instead of Double Rich Chocolate. It was just sooo much difference and I was not a fan.

So, our favorites here are the Double Rich Choclate, Chocolate Peanut Butter, and Vanilla Ice Cream. These not only taste great but also blend easily in a variety of mixers. But definitely try them all! Just make sure you buy a small tub before committing to a huge one in case you don’t like it.

Pros

  • JUST PLAIN WORKS
  • GOOD WITH ANYTHING AND MIXES WELL
  • CRAZY AMOUNT OF FLAVORS THAT ACTUALLY TASTE GOOD
  • GOOD PROTEIN AND HIGH VALUE

Cons

  • CONTAINS ARTIFICIAL COLORS AND FLAVORS

Protein

22g

Price

$$$

Our Rating

Quest has a cult-like following. They’re all about eating right and fueling your body efficiently, which means low carbs, high quality ingredients, and a commitment to change the lives of it’s customers.

This whey-based protein powders deliver 20+ grams of pure, low-carb, low-sugar protein per serving. Made with protein isolates, rather than concentrates, all flavors of Quest Protein Powders provide a quick release of protein to muscles, along with nine essential amino acids. They mix easily with water and are even more flavorful when blended with your favorite milk or milk substitute.

Exceedingly popular, these are low-cal, soy- and gluten-free, and come in a huge variety of creamy, unique flavors.

Our favorites include salted caramel, banana cream, peanut butter, and cinnamon crunch. 

Pros

  • MULTI-PURPOSE - GREAT FOR SHAKES OR BAKING
  • QUALITY INGREDIENTS AND GOOD AMOUNT OF PROTEIN
  • LOW CARB, LOW SUGAR, LOW CALORIE
  • ALL PROTEIN ISOLATE, NOT CONCENTRATE
  • check
    AMAZING, UNIQUE FLAVORS

Cons

  • BIT MORE EXPENSIVE

Protein

20g

Price

$$$

Our Rating

This powder is a blend of non-GMO, certified vegan ingredients including sacha inchi, vegetables such as peas, broccoli, and spinach, brown rice, and hemp protein. All flavors are gluten-free and also free of artificial colors, flavors, or sweeteners.

They deliver at least 20 grams of whole-food, plant-based protein per serving.

So, it’s a plant based protein, and it packs a punch.

We wanted to include this one on the list, because while it’s not for everyone, people who are lactose intolerant, or who are vegetarian or vegan can still get a pretty awesome protein powder and the greens benefits, too, and it doesn’t taste like total crap, like many of the other natural options.

Vega Protein & Greens powder comes in six flavors, but our favorites were vanilla, chocolate, and coconut almond. They’ve also got unflavored (or “Natural”), which is useful if you like to make your own shakes and want a plain base.

Pros

  • PLANT-POWERED PROTEIN
  • CERTIFIED VEGAN AND NON-GMO
  • NO ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, COLORS, OR SWEETENERS
  • check
    LOW-CARB​, LOW-SUGAR, LOW-CALORIE
  • check
    GLUTEN-FREE

Cons

  • HIGHER PRICE
  • VERY THICK, NOT THE SMOOTHEST MIX
  • YOU MAY NOT LIKE THE STEVIA AFTERTASTE
  • QUALITY CONCERNS ABOUT NEW PACKAGING AND SEALS

Protein

25g

Price

$$$$

Our Rating

This stuff is cold processed from milk sourced from small US dairy farms that don’t use growth hormones.

And it contains only three ingredients: 100% grass fed pure whey protein, a natural flavor (strawberry, cacao, or vanilla), and organic coconut sugar.

Literally nothing else. No additives such as artificial sweeteners or colors. GMO-free, soy- and gluten-free, and is a great source of amino acids and glutathione.

It blends well with everything from milk and milk substitutes to coconut water, fruit juices, and fruits and vegetables in smoothies. 

All the flavors are great, actually, and with only three, you can’t go wrong.

Pros

  • LOW SUGAR, HIGH PROTEIN
  • ONLY 3 INGREDIENTS, AND ALL FULLY NATURAL AND REAL
  • MILK FROM HORMONE-FREE COWS
  • check
    NO BLEACH OR ACID USED IN MANUFACTURING
  • check
    AWESOME PROTEIN/BCAA SERVING SIZE
  • check
    THOROUGHLY TESTED FOR HEAVY METALS

Cons

  • YOU'LL PAY MORE FOR THE QUALITY
  • MIXING IS SO-SO, NOT SUPER EASY AND MAY CLUMP
  • NOT AS MANY FLAVOR OPTIONS AS OTHERS

Taste-Test Winner

These are all amazing in their own way (otherwise we wouldn’t have included them). And we stick by our rankings (ON being the best overall including value, taste, etc.)

However, for straight up flavor, and because it makes AMAZING baked goods, the taste-test winner is…

Quest Nutrition

Creamy, rich, and literally tastes like you’re eating a naughty dessert, when really you’re just fueling your muscle growth. Awesome, right?

It’s a solid product, we love the brand, and man does it taste good.

Best Casein Protein Powders For Men | Reviewing & Rating The Top Brands

Most men want to look good. But getting in “gym” shape can be a problem since sticking to a recommended diet and regular workouts isn’t easy.

One way to help with your fitness goals is to incorporate a casein protein supplement into your diet. The supplement boosts muscle retention and fuels fat loss. Below are some top rated casein protein supplements that might work for you. Later in this article, we’ll review each powder and render our verdict on the best one.

Rating The Top 4 Best Casein Protein Powders

What is casein and the protein powder it’s used in?

Casein is the main protein in dairy products such as milk and cheese. It’s slow-digesting and therefore “results in a slow but steady release of amino acids into circulation.”

In order to produce casein powder, the solids are skimmed off milk that has separated “after a curdling agent has been applied. Then they’re dehydrated and turned into powder which is a rich source of amino acids” essential for muscle growth and tissue repair.

Types of casein protein

The primary types of casein protein are micellar casein and casein hydrolysate.

The main difference between the two is that micellar casein is digested slowly while casein hydrolysate is rapidly absorbed.

How do you take a casein protein powder?

Like most dietary supplements, you ingest it. How much you consume depends on how much protein you’re consuming elsewhere, as well as what your physical fitness goals are. Health experts say that casein protein powder works better when consumed after a workout or half an hour before going to bed.

What are the benefits?

1. It improves your metabolic rate

An increase in metabolic rate translates to an increase in your body’s energy levels. A higher metabolism means more calories automatically burned. And the energy surge lets you go an extra mile at the gym, helping you burn additional calories and fat.

2. Casein protein powder might boost your lean muscle mass

Some health experts say that a single 33-gram scoop of casein protein powder contains an average of 24 grams of proteins and branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) like isoleucine, valine, and leucine.

These nutrients collaborate to support lean muscle development and promote post-workout muscle recovery. The body also oxidizes the amino acids to provide the energy required for sustained exercise.

3. Casein protein powder can suppress appetite, unlike whey protein powder

Whey powder’s effects are short-lived since the body absorbs it very fast. On the other hand, since casein digests slowly, you feel full longer after you consume it than you would after consuming other kinds of protein. Feeling full longer means less chances of overeating!

4. Other benefits

In addition to the benefits outlined above, some studies report that casein may reduce triglyceride levels, boost your immune system, and protect your cells from the damaging effects resulting from oxidation.

Casein Protein Powder Drawbacks

While casein seems like a great way to help you achieve your fitness goals, some people are allergic to it. It’s also possible to make yourself sick by exceeding the manufacturer’s maximum recommended dose. If you’re sensitive to dairy products, we suggest that you avoid casein protein.

How to Choose the Best Casein Protein Powder

Casein protein powders vary in formulation and effectiveness. Of course, each brand promises it’s the best. So how do you purchase the right supplement?

1. Choose a supplement with minimal or no added ingredients

Some casein powders may contain added ingredients like sugars, colors, fillers, and dextrin. Try to avoid such powders since the added ingredients have no health benefits. Furthermore, some added ingredients might be harmful to your health.

2. Consult a health expert before you start using any type of protein powder, including casein

Consult a doctor before you start using casein. Like any supplement, it can have side effects. Common side effects linked with the use of casein protein include vomiting, bloating, abdominal pain, and diarrhea. Consulting a physician should especially be a priority for people with chronic disorders like kidney disease or irritable bowel syndrome. A doctor may also be able to suggest a casein protein powder that will work best for you.

3. Buy from reputable manufacturers

Buy from a reputable manufacturer with scientific research behind its product as well as excellent reviews.

The 4 Best Casein Proteins (Reviews Below)

The Ratings & Reviews Of The Top Picks

So, which product is the best casein protein? Let’s dive into our top four picks.

 

Protein

24g

Price

$

Our Rating

Just like it’s brother, ON’s Whey Protein, this truly is the gold standard. 

I like to call it the “least offensive” product out there, since it just works, it’s trustworthy, it tastes good, it mixes well…it just hits the spot.

24 grams of protein per serving is just fine, it’s a super trusted brand, and it’s always been great when I get it.

Like usual, loads of flavor profiles to choose from.

Basically just the best.

Pros

  • JUST PLAIN WORKS
  • GOOD WITH ANYTHING AND MIXES WELL
  • TONS OF FLAVORS THAT ARE ACTUALLY TASTY
  • GOOD PROTEIN AND HIGH VALUE

Cons

  • CONTAINS ARTIFICIAL COLORS AND FLAVORS

Protein

26g

Price

$

Our Rating

Bulk Supplements’ Pure Casein Protein is free of any synthetic ingredients and is an excellent option for those who want to avoid potentially harmful additives.

It’s an excellent source of amino acids, proteins, calcium, phosphorus, sodium, magnesium, iron, and potassium.

The rich nutrient profile supports lean muscle development and recovery, but does so super basically and naturally, since Bulk Supplements typically includes JUST the active ingredient in their stuff. In this case there’s an emulsifier to keep it from separating, but it’s minimal and they’re a very clean and trustworthy brand.

Not great if you love flavors, but pretty non-offensive when it comes to being a plain, unflavored powder.

Great if you want the bear bones minimum but still want to grow muscle!

Pros

  • NO SYNTHETIC ADDITIVES OR YEAST
  • HUGE VALUE, GREAT PRICE
  • MIXES WELL WITH BOTH WATER AND MILK
  • WORKS WELL WITH NO FRILLS

Cons

  • NOT A GREAT TASTE
  • PACKAGING MAY NOT RESEAL

Protein

25g

Price

$$$

Our Rating

Ascent Native’s micellar casein powder is prepared from pure natural ingredients and is free of synthetic additives.

While it does have more ingredients than some others, it’s making good use of them, and is a more natural version of the ON offering.

They’ve put in these ingredients to help with taste, mostly, so you’re still pretty safe to go with this if you’re looking for a minimal option but want it to taste better than the unflavored offerings on this list.

It has a sweet amino acid profile, zero sugar (natural sweeteners only), and has fairly low calories and carbs per scoop.

Basically a good clean version but with a better taste than the super-minimalist brands.

Pros

  • NO SYNTHETIC ADDITIVES
  • GOOD FLAVOR FOR BEING A NATURAL PRODUCT
  • GLUTEN FREE

Cons

  • MIXES OK BUT MIGHT BE GRITTY IF NOT MIXED LONG ENOUGH 
  • SLIGHTLY HIGHER PRICE

Protein

26g

Price

$$$$

Our Rating

Naked Casein’s tagline is “Nutrition with nothing to hide,” and that’s right on the money.

Naked Casein has zero additives, including sweeteners, food coloring, or artificial flavors.

It packs a powerful protein punch at 26 grams of protein (the most out of any of our top selections) and 5.4 grams of BCAAs per serving.

The milk from which Natural Casein is derived comes from US farms that do not use growth hormones rGBH or rBST.

It’s hard to dislike anything from NAKED. They’ve got “LESS NAKED” options, too, which give you a bit of flavor, but only add like 2 extra ingredients (all natural, too). So basically, it’s super simple, they’re building a trustworthy brand, and the stuff is potent!

Pros

  • NO ADDITIVES!
  • GMO-FREE, SOY-FREE, GLUTEN-FREE
  • MILK FROM HORMONE-FREE COWS
  • check
    NO BLEACH OR ACID USED IN MANUFACTURING
  • check
    AWESOME PROTEIN/BCAA SERVING SIZE
  • check
    THOROUGHLY TESTED FOR HEAVY METALS
  • check
    DECENT "MILK" FLAVOR THAT MIXES WELL

Cons

  • YOU'LL PAY MORE FOR THE QUALITY
  • MIXING IS SO-SO, NOT SUPER EASY AND MAY CLUMP
  • NEUTRAL TASTE, WON'T ADD FLAVOR

The Final Word

As usual, we’ve only given you options to choose from that stand apart from the competitors based on ingredients and performance…NOT marketing BS.

Nothing shiny or out of the pages of muscle-mags here.

This is the best of the best when it comes to slow-releasing casein protein and we stand behind any product on this list. 

At the end of the day, most people will be served perfectly well with Optimum Nutrition’s Gold Standard Casein Protein.

We do add the other products, though, since every body and set of preferences is unique…I don’t want to assume that my favorite is your favorite, so feel free to look into the other choices, too. Like I said, they’re all legit.

Best Low Calorie Protein Powder That Actually Works | Reviewing and Rating The Top Brands

Choosing the right low calorie protein powder is often easier said than done. There are a slew of brands and tons of wrong information, so knowing which ones are the cream of the crop and which ones to steer clear from can be a challenging experience.

Rather than taking the shotgun approach and wasting money on low calorie protein powders that may or may not work, it’s best to invest a few minutes to learn a little about them and know if what you’re buying is the right choice for your goals, needs, and taste buds.

Lucky for you, here’s the rundown on low calorie protein powders and a quick list of the best ones to make this process as quick and easy as possible.

We focus only on products that work and that don’t have loads of filler and crappy ingredients. Marketing mumbo-jumbo is a no-go here.

Rating The Top 4 Low-Calorie Protein Powders

Rank

Whey Protein Powder

Protein

Calories

Our Rating

Price

#1. 

(EDITOR'S CHOICE)

22g

100

#2.

24g

120

#3.

25g

120

#4.

20g

110

Advantages of Low Calorie Protein Powders

Protein is a vital nutrient needed for muscle growth, strength, and recovery. Most protein powders, however, are loaded with unhealthy fats, carbohydrates, and tons of calories proven to negatively affect muscle definition and weight management.

The body needs protein for lean muscle growth, but it doesn’t need all of the extra calories packed into most protein powders. If you eat healthy and watch your calories, low calorie protein powders provide a convenient, effective way to support lean muscle growth and minimize fat gain.

When used as meal replacements and healthy snack options, low calorie protein powders also help you cut out the sugars and starches that are nearly inescapable in our modern diets. It’s not normal for you or anyone else to consume large amounts of refined carbs.

Your body breaks down carbs into sugar, so after eating a carb-filled meal, your blood sugar rises. This triggers the release of insulin, which works to bring your blood sugar, or glucose, back to normal levels. In addition to causing fat gain and poor performance, these blood sugar and insulin spikes promote type 2 diabetes, heart disease, atherosclerosis, and even cancer.

Low calorie protein powders can help prevent these diseases, promote optimal health, and more. In fact, here’s a list of their advantages and all they can do:

• Satiate you for longer
• Promote faster muscle gain and fat loss
• Boosts energy
• Improve heart health
• Repair muscles, skin, and hair
• Reduce water retention
• Make losing weight and feeling great easy!

How to Lose Weight with Low Calorie Protein Powders

Many people drink protein shakes to gain muscle, although they can also be used to lose weight, by packing more protein into a smaller calorie punch than a full meal.

As a “meal replacement”, they’re designed to replace a meal or two each day, with the whey or other type of protein mixed with milk or maybe a smoothie with some fruit. A lot of people actually only add water to limit their calorie intake.

Following a low calorie diet is a proven way to slim down – in fact, literally the only way to lose weight is to be in a caloric deficit, where you eat fewer calories than you burn – and since most protein shakes contain fewer calories than most meals you would normally consume, you’ll likely see results. The added protein will also help you grow and maintain muscle mass.

However, what if you could enjoy all of the benefits of protein with even fewer calories? Would you be even slimmer and more shredded? Of course you would!

Simply engage in resistance training regularly, limit your carb intake, and make sure you’re tracking your food with something like MyFitnessPal to stay under your TDEE, and the addition of a quality low-cal protein powder to your diet will help you achieve your goals. 

Choosing The Right One

Low calorie protein powders are a quick and convenient way to nourish your body, satisfy your hunger, build lean muscle, and keep your waistline slim. Whether you want to lose weight, build muscle mass, boost your athletic performance, or simply improve your overall fitness, these low calorie protein-packed drink mixes are an optimal solution.

Unfortunately, choosing the best one for your goals, needs, and taste buds can be tougher than running a 4.4 40. So, how do you know which one is right for you?

According to the Cleveland Clinic, here are some general guidelines to follow based on your desired outcome:

Lose Weight

If losing weight is your goal, you should choose a protein powder with the fewest calories possible and no added dextrins or sugars. Protein powders with branched-chain amino acids, or BCAAs, should also be avoided as they actually promote weight gain along with muscle growth.

Build Muscles

When it comes to building muscle, protein powders with higher biological values work best. This is simply a measurement of the body’s ability to absorb protein and put it to use. Whey isolates and protein are ideal in this regard.

Lower Your Blood Sugar

If you’re diabetic, you should choose protein powders with zero added sugar. Powders with less than five grams of carbs per serving are also ideal.

Avoid Bloating and Gas

Protein powders are notorious for causing bloating, gas, and other gastrointestinal issues. For easier digestion, choose one without lactose sugars, dextrins, and artificial sweeteners. If you’re sensitive to gluten, make sure to pick a powder that’s gluten-free as well.

Maintain Your Vegan Lifestyle

The power of protein can’t be duplicated. Fortunately, there are plenty of options out there to accommodate your non-dairy lifestyle. Rather than choosing a whey or milk-based protein powder, select one consisting of 100 percent pure plant proteins. You’ll be pleased to know there are plenty of vegan-friendly options.

Rank

Product

Protein

Calories

Our Rating

Price

#1. 

(EDITOR'S CHOICE)

22g

100

#2.

24g

120

#3.

25g

120

#4.

20g

110

Ratings and Reviews Of The 4 Best Options

So, which product is the #1 and why? Let’s dive into our top four picks.

Protein

22g

Calories

100

Price

$$$

Our Rating

This 100 percent natural whey isolate formula is designed to help you get lean fast. With 22 grams of protein and only 100 calories per serving, it boasts one of the best protein-to-calorie ratios on the market today.

Legion Whey + is also lactose-, hormone-, and antibiotic-free. Plus, it’s derived from 100 percent non-GMO grass-fed cows, which is great if you care about what you put in your body. You do, don’t you?

It tastes surprisingly good for a protein powder, despite its somewhat noticeable stevia flavor. Plus, it blends well and won’t turn thick and clumpy like many of the other low-cal protein powders found on the market today.

Best of all, like all Legion products, Whey+ is made in the USA at an NSF-certified facility according to the strictest of quality control standards. Legion also offers a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee.

If you’re searching for quality protein that won’t add to your waistline, keep your muscle mass up, taste good, and live up to the hype, Legion Whey+ is the way!

Pros

  • LOADED WITH PURE PROTEIN ISOLATE
  • LOWEST CALORIES/SERVING
  • SUPER HIGH QUALITY - JUST WORKS
  • GREAT FLAVOR OPTIONS, WHICH BLEND WELL

Cons

  • SOMETIMES THE STEVIA TASTE CAN BE A BIT STRONG

Protein

24g

Calories

120

Price

$

Our Rating

Optimum Nutrition (ON) delivers twenty-four grams of the good stuff, four grams of natural glutamine, and 5.5 grams of natural BCAAs in every 120-calorie serving.

It contains a blend of concentrates, isolates, and peptides which are transported quickly to the muscles faster for steady, efficient results whether before or after a workout.

Look, we say it all the time…there’s a reason it has “Gold Standard” in the name.

It’s considered one of the top protein powders and is known for being consistently high protein and high quality. Great taste, great at mixing, consistent, and it just plain works.

In addition to the solid nutritional boost you’ll get from every ON shake you mix up, a big added bonus is the 20+ flavors available. That said, not all flavors are created equal – there’s a big range of flavor even among the chocolate varieties – so when in doubt, buy a one-pound bag for your initial trial run!

Pros

  • GOLD STANDARD QUALITY
  • BEST ALL-AROUND VALUE
  • LOW-CALORIE, GLUTEN-FREE, HIGH-PROTEIN, HIGH-BCAA
  • TONS OF EASILY-MIXABLE FLAVORS

Cons

  • CONTAINS SOME ARTIFICIAL ADDITIVES AND SUGARS

Protein

25g

Calories

120

Price

$$$

Our Rating

Naked Whey is a completely transparent company from source to end product, and it drives home that transparency with its clear powder jugs.

The powder contains one lone ingredient: 100% grass fed pure whey protein concentrate. It has no additives of any kind including sweeteners, flavors, or colors.

In that same vein, it’s GMO-free, contains no growth hormones, and is soy- and gluten-free.

Low-calorie, low-carb, low-sugar, and high protein, Naked Whey hits all the right notes in every nutritional department.

It’s cold processed, to prevent contamination by heavy metals or any kind of chemicals. Additionally, it’s manufactured without acids, bleaches, or high heats, therefore the integrity of the amino acids is preserved.

The only place this powder really falls short is flavorwise, given that it has only one ingredient. 

HOWEVER…you can get “LESS NAKED” whey, which includes two extra ingredients…a flavor (natural flavors…literally dried strawberries, cacao, or vanilla), and organic coconut sugar. Insane. 

So, now you’ve got a world of choice in front of you. We’re huge NAKED fans and we think you will be, too.

Pros

  • INSANELY HIGH QUALITY
  • ONLY ONE, NATURALLY SOURCED AND PREPARED INGREDIENT
  • COMES FROM GRASS-FED COWS WITH NO GROWTH HORMONES
  • NOW WITH ONLY SLIGHTLY LESS NAKED FLAVOR OPTIONS!

Cons

  • MORE EXPENSIVE
  • UNFLAVORED ISN'T PARTICULARLY TASTY, SO PUT IT IN A SMOOTHIE
  • CONCENTRATE, NOT ISOLATE

Protein

20g

Calories

110

Price

$$$$

Our Rating

Alright, bring out the fancy stuff.

This 100% grass fed whey protein powder has a whole lot going for it.

It’s the only one on this list that is 100% organic. It’s also the only whey protein on the market that is certified paleo friendly by the Paleo Foundation.

It’s got only three ingredients (all organic): undenatured whey (sourced from US farms), vanilla bean extract, and stevia.

Non-GMO and cold processed, without acids or bleach, they’ve preserved the purity of the amino acids. Gluten- and soy-free, including no soy lecithin, which is often added to protein powders as an emulsifier. Even so, it blends easily with your choice of mixer.

At 110 calories, with plenty of protein, calcium, and potassium, and less than a gram of sugar (naturally found in the milk the whey is derived from), this powder is exactly what your muscles need before or after a hard workout.

As a huge plus, all three flavors taste pretty darn good, too.

Pros

  • 100% ORGANIC AND PALEO-FRIENDLY
  • MADE WITH MILK FROM GROWTH-HORMONE FREE COWS
  • check
    TASTES GREAT AND MIXES WELL
  • check
    GLUTEN-, SOY-, AND ADDITIVE-FREE

Cons

  • MORE EXPENSIVE
  • LOWEST PROTEIN PER SERVING ON THIS LIST

And the winner is…

As you can see, there are a wide-variety of low-calorie protein powders to choose from, but which one stands out at the front of the pack? The answer is simple:

Legion Whey+

Featuring 22 grams of premium natural whey isolate from grass-fed cows and only 100 calories per serving, it’s easy to see why more and more people are turning to Legion for their daily protein needs. If you want to burn fat and gain lean muscle, chances are it won’t disappoint.

Combined with a healthy meal plan and regular exercise, this has the power to turn you into a fat-burning, muscle-building machine!

The Best Low Carb Protein Powder For Men (Keto-Approved!)

Did you know your protein powder may actually be undermining your ketogenic diet?

Protein shakes are a helpful convenience food, but sugar, fillers, flavoring, and even active ingredients can throw off the 70/20/5 ratio of fat/protein/carbohydrates that raise your blood ketone levels to achieve a ketogenic state.

We’ve searched far and wide and come up with some suggestions to keep you burning fat and building muscle.

The Top 5 Rated Low-Carb, Keto-Friendly Protein Powders

More About the Keto Diet and Keto-friendly Protein Powders

Following a ketogenic diet requires a delicate balance of fat, protein and carbohydrates. While a ketogenic diet is typically classified as a “low carb diet”, it is just as important that people on a ketogenic diet do not consume too many proteins.

An excess of either carbs or proteins can disrupt the body’s state of ketosis and cause a backslide.

The video below details one keto dieter’s personal experience through the first 7 days of the plan and why consistency is a must on a keto diet.

Protein supplements are intended to increase protein intake, usually to help with fitness objectives like building muscle. With a ketogenic diet, however, the primary objective is fat loss.

Most people on a properly executed ketogenic diet will not lose muscle mass, but they may have trouble building up more or gaining weight. Because of these differences, many protein supplements are not good for people on a keto diet.

Add some fat to your protein.

The keto diet has people add a large amount of fat while cutting back on carbohydrates and protein in their diets to force the body into a state of ketosis, where the body burns fat instead of carbs or muscle for fuel. This “adding fat to lose fat” approach has been proven effective at weight loss and fat loss, with studies showing that it also reduced triglycerides and boosted “good” HDL cholesterol.

When it comes to protein shakes on the keto diet, the problem is that most protein powders:

  1. Are low fat, and;
  2. Contain carbohydrates.

This is not ideal when your keto diet requires that fats make up about 3/4 of your daily caloric intake and carbohydrates are kept to an absolute minimum. That macronutrient balance is what kicks the body into a ketogenic state.

The protein powders recommended here can help keep you on track with your keto diet, mostly by being low in carb, but in some cases, by having some good fats added in. For the rest, just whip up a smoothie with some of your favorite fats, keep the carbs out, and you should be good to go.

Whatever the case in regards to how you like your protein powder, we’ve specifically picked these to be mostly natural, mostly keto friendly, and NOT full of BS filler and marketing hype ingredients. 

We’re not about that here, and we know one of our top 5 picks will work for you.

How To Pick A Keto-Friendly Protein Powder

When choosing a protein powder while on a ketogenic diet, you want to look for protein powders that can keep your macronutrients in balance. The qualities to look for are protein powders that are:

  1. Low-carb
  2. Do not contain added sugars
  3. Do contain added fats (like from coconut oil or from high-fat protein sources like red meat)

The importance of getting the macronutrients right on the keto diet cannot be overstated. The effectiveness of the ketogenic diet depends on overriding the body’s standard process of converting glucose to energy via the pancreas to converting fat to energy via the liver. When the macros are right this process happens efficiently. When the macros are wrong not only will ketosis fail to kick in, but the overall plan can become dangerous and unhealthy.

If you are on the keto diet, it is important not to just eyeball your nutrition. Know the ratios and use a tool like My Fitness Pal or Lifesum to track your food intake and make sure that you are striking the right balance between fats, carbs and protein. If you eat more than the allotted amount of carbohydrates or protein you risk the body going out of its fat-burning ketogenic state and the associated issues with metabolizing such an extreme diet. The ketogenic diet was developed as a medical treatment, not a fad diet. It should be treated as such.

Skip The Keto Protein Powders If…

Not everyone is a candidate for the keto diet. You should skip the ketogenic diet and these keto protein powders if any of the following applies to you:

  1. You have gall bladder issues
  2. You have a fat metabolism disorder
  3. You are trying to gain weight
  4. You are trying to gain muscle
  5. You do explosive sports or fitness activities like sprinting or power lifting

Top 5 Low-Carb Protein Powders

The best low carb protein powder for a keto diet will contain:

  1. Protein
  2. Low carbohydrate content
  3. And maybe even extra fat

These formulas are recommended if you are on a ketogenic diet.

Protein / Carb / Fat

24g / 3g / 1.5g

Price

$

Our Rating

This is pretty much the top protein powder on the market. Best selling, loads of flavors, really non-offensive ingredient list. It’s cheap and it works. 

It doesn’t have the added fats that some others so, and it does have a few grams of carbs, but for the price and for the fact that it just plain works, you can easily slot this into a keto diet.

The flavors are pretty decent, although they occasionally tweak their lineup and sometimes change sweetening agents and digestive enzymes. So just be aware of what their latest formulation is.

Works perfectly fine in all types of mixing situations, though I actually use this stuff in coffee and oatmeal. Fine as a drink by itself, though, too.

Pros

  • TASTE: Many protein powders taste downright awful regardless of which flavor you try. This usually isn't the case with Optimum Nutrition. You can buy any one of their several-dozen flavors and be almost guaranteed a good taste. Just get a small tub first before committing to the 5 pounder. 
  • NON-OFFENSIVE: OK, yes, this is a Pro. There's so much other crap on the market that is full of BS, so it's nice to see an industry leader selling a ton of pretty plain, boring product. No stupid ingredients, no ridiculous marketing claims.
  • ALWAYS AVAILABLE: In this low-carb protein market, this is actually important. Low-carb or keto offerings are so new that many of the companies offering them are new, too. This means they haven't all got their production cycle down, which could leave you scrambling for a replacement if you go to order and they're out of stock. ON is pretty well too big for that to happen.
  • VALUE: No fillers, no marketing claims, and yet it works. And for way cheaper than most other proteins, especially those on this list. If you're looking for one that will just do the job without breaking the bank, this is it.

Cons

  • DIGESTION: Not a huge issue, but ON has recently removed Aminogen from their formula. Apparently it's useful for digesting the whey protein, and if you have issues with that sort of thing, then maybe you should be wary of the new formula. For most people, however, it shouldn't be a big deal.
  • NOT THE BEST RATIO: It's not bad, but obviously there's a couple carbs and almost no fat. But for this price, come on. 

Protein / Carb / Fat

21g / 0g / <1g

Price

$$$$

Our Rating

This organic grass-fed beef bone broth protein is an unflavored powder that contains only one ingredient: organic beef bone broth powder.

Because it is unflavored, this can be blended into sweet or savory liquids.

The collagen-rich bone broth formula may be beneficial for joint health, and also have digestive benefits.

Basically it’s an interesting single-ingredient protein source, which means no filler and nothing unnatural. It’s certified organic, potentially the only one of it’s kind using this exact ingredient.

Pros

  • ORGANIC
  • NO ADDITIVES OR PRESERVATIVES
  • PROTEIN SOURCED FROM GUT-FRIENDLY BONE BROTH
  • DAIRY-FREE

Cons

  • NOT SUITABLE FOR VEGANS/VEGETARIANS
  • UNFLAVORED, WON'T SATISFY A SWEET TOOTH

Protein / Carb / Fat

10g / 1g / 4g

Price

$$$$

Our Rating

Keto Protein Powder is developed specifically for people on a ketogenic diet, which is one of the only ones to specifically do so. The others excel in some form or another, but this and maybe our last offering are very much pro-keto. I mean, both the company AND the product have keto in the name.

The formula contains collagen protein sourced from grass-fed cattle, which seems to be pretty popular in these parts. Grass-fed = good, usually, though collagen is a pretty low protein form of protein, and may not have all the benefits that people usually think of. For example, just because collagen is good for joints, doesn’t mean it automatically get converted to collagen in the joints when you consume it.

Anyway, the pro-keto part of this recipe is that it contains MCT oil powder that boosts fat content. If you’ve had Bulletproof Coffee or the like, you know what MCT oil is, and you know its a delightful way to boost your brain power and get your fats.

This formula comes in one flavor, chocolate, which is created with cocoa powder and stevia, so it’s natural.

Overall, it’s OK and we like that it adds the MCT oil powder, but it’s just such a low protein content, you’re probably better off going with a cheaper option and buying a separate thing of MCT oil.

Pros

  • CONTAINS MCT OIL FOR EXTRA FAT
  • COLLAGEN FORMULA MAY BE GOOD FOR JOINTS, DIGESTION, ETC.

Cons

  • EXPENSIVE
  • NOT MUCH PROTEIN
  • COLLAGEN IS NOT THE GREATEST FORM OF PROTEIN

Protein / Carb / Fat

27g / 2g / 2g

Price

$$$

Our Rating

BN Labs’ Organic Vegan Protein Powder comes in four flavors, and is made from a blend of pea, brown rice, hemp, and spirulina protein, all of which are organic.

Sweetened with stevia, this powder has no added sugars. Being a plant-based formula, it obviously contains no dairy, soy, or gluten.

The only vegan/vegetarian friendly offering on our list, it actually packs a very potent punch, coming in at 27 grams of protein per serving. That’s the most on this list, and it all comes from non-animal sources.

While it’s quite a bit more expensive than Optimum Nutrition, it’s actually a fair bit cheaper than the second and third options on our list. 

If you’re vegan and looking for a low-carb protein powder, this is absolutely the one to get.

Pros

  • ORGANIC
  • VEGAN
  • SOY-FREE
  • DAIRY-FREE
  • LOADS OF PROTEIN

Cons

  • TASTE ISN'T GREAT
  • DOESN'T MIX VERY WELL
  • NO ADDED FATS

Protein / Carb / Fat

20g / 9g / 9g

Price

$$$

Our Rating

Primal Fuel Whey Protein Powder is a whey isolate protein with added coconut milk that’s sweetened with stevia.

The formula comes in two flavors: chocolate and vanilla coconut.

A compound from chicory root called inulin provides prebiotics for digestive support.

It’s basically a much better, in our opinion, pure keto protein powder than the first collagen option on this list.

It’s made with whey isolate, which is a form of protein with a very high protein/weight ratio, and it’s got almost no lactose in it which means it’s great if you’re lactose intolerant. 

The added coconut milk gives it some fat, 9 whole grams, which is a lot more than anything else on this list, and even though it’s got 9 grams of carbs, that’s offset at least a bit by 4g of fiber.

If you really want that all-in-one keto powder, this might be it!

Pros

  • ADDED COCONUT MILK FOR SOME GOOD FATS
  • PREBIOTICS ADDED
  • WELL-ROUNDED WITH PLENTY OF PROTEINS AND FATS

Cons

  • TASTE IS NOT ALWAYS GREAT
  • TEXTURE AND CONSISTENCY IS A BIT GUMMY
  • MAY BE MORE EXPENSIVE TO BUY THIS "ALL-IN-ONE" POWDER THAN BUYING YOUR PROTEIN AND FATS SEPARATELY

The Final Word

Alright, so we’ve given you 5 pretty darn good options, nothing with filler or BS marketing mumbo jumbo.

A couple options have added some fats, whereas the rest are mostly just here because they’re low carb, allowing you the freedom to get some much needed protein without ruining your macros for the day.

The best choice here may just be the run of the mill Optimum Nutrition, but we also really like the 20g of protein in the Primal Kitchen offering, especially since they’ve got 9g of fat in there as well. 

Basically you can’t really go wrong with one of our options, so check them out and decide, based on your lifestyle and goals, which one best suits you!

The Best Whey Protein Powder To Help Men Build Muscle Reviewed

You’re eating right and trying to bulk up, but you just aren’t seeing as much muscle development as you had hoped. Hard to down 100-200 grams of protein every day, right?

That’s where whey protein powder comes in to be the hero.

The market, however, is saturated with different whey protein powders, and manufacturers all want you to believe that their product is the best. And you probably know as well as I do how sketchy some of these fitness companies can be.

So, which whey protein powders are worth trying? Stick around and we’ll do the hard work of sifting through the trash for you.

Top 4 Best Whey Protein Powders Rated

Whey Protein Powder

Protein/Serving

Our Rating

Price

24g

#1. EDITOR'S CHOICE

22g

#2.

25g

#3.

21g

#4.

What Does Whey Protein Do, And Do You Actually Need It?

Whey, a milk derivative, contains all of the nine essential amino acids our bodies need, which work together to start the muscle recovery process.

Basically, it’s an awesome and efficient way of getting more protein into your body by mixing it with water, milk, or in a smoothie (or oatmeal, or baking…basically anyway you can consume it works).

So when you ask what it does you’re basically asking what protein does. Check it out more in depth here, but basically when you’re beating the crap out of your muscles at the gym, protein is the building block that repairs them and builds them up bigger and stronger than before.

You need to be getting enough protein for this to actually work, and most guys who go to the gym take anywhere from 0.7 to 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight.

It usually comes in one of three different compositions: whey protein hydrolysate (WPH), whey protein concentrate (WPC), or whey protein isolate (WPI). WPH requires little digestion since it has already undergone some hydrolysis, whereas WPC contains 30-90% protein and WPI contains at least 90% protein.

Note that anyone with lactose intolerance should consider taking whey protein in its isolate form.

Whey protein essentially encourages the growth of lean muscle while enhancing muscle protein synthesis.

So, if you’re having trouble eating enough “real food” protein, it doesn’t hurt to supplement with a protein powder to make sure you’re getting the most out of your workouts by building the most muscle possible.

What To Look For

Take a gander at the digital protein powder aisle on Amazon or Bodybuilding.com, and you will have your mind blown by how many brands of whey protein powder are available. They all seem to offer slightly different formulas while making the same promises (often trying to one-up each other).

So, what should you actually look for in a good whey protein powder when there are thousands of options to choose from?

First and foremost, you should be looking for something that is high in protein. Duh. We like to look for powders that have 20+ grams of protein per serving, but you can usually find 25-30 gram options which are even better as long as they’re not like three scoops and full of other crap.

You’ll also probably want to keep your protein low in fat and carbs, since you’re taking it to boost your protein macro profile, not the others.

Ideally, you should be aiming for something that contains between 1 and 5 grams of fat and about 1 to 5 grams of carbs.

After looking at the macros, you’ll obviously want to make sure the ingredients themselves are decent. You don’t need a PERFECT protein powder – we’re not proponents of letting the perfect be the enemy of the good – but you don’t want to be consuming a bunch of stuff you can’t pronounce and are not sure what it is.

Here are some common ingredients to look out for, both good and bad:

  • You want whey protein, obviously. Sometimes protein powders will be made WITH whey, but not exclusively. Make sure your product doesn’t have rice protein powder and other non-whey proteins that are incomplete proteins.
  • Probably don’t bother with hydrolyzed protein. Evidence doesn’t seem to support the marketing that companies are putting out, which basically just makes it a more expensive product without added benefits.
  • Sweeteners can go either way, and really depend on what side of the argument you’re on. We’re personally good with most artificial sweeteners in protein, because they’re usually pretty minimal. Stevia is pretty awesome because it’s a natural product. However, sucralose, erythritol, and other approved sweeteners are probably fine, it’s just that we’re still not sure what long-term side effects they may have. But like with everything we talk about, don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good, and just pick something! Just maybe don’t pick one whose ingredient list starts off with sugars such as dextrose, fructose, glucose polymers, sucrose or maltodextrin.
  • Hydrogenated or trans fats. No real reason to have much, if any, of these in your protein. They’re usually used to make a richer, creamier texture when mixed.

While it’s not a perfect tool, we like to check to see if the products we choose have been listed on LabDoor. Sometimes they give bad grades because the score is totally based on a formula, without human input. For example, if a product has more protein than advertised, the accuracy score will suffer, even though you may actually be getting better value than you thought. Anyway, it’s still a good thing to check to make sure there’s nothing really wrong with your purchase.

Also, you will need to carefully consider which type of whey protein is right for you. If you want something that you can consume between meals and that is moderately digested, opt for whey protein concentrate. Otherwise, consider whey protein isolate, which is more quickly absorbed by the body and is best taken post-workout.

What To Avoid

While a lot of these companies are kings of deceptive marketing, it’s best to go into the supplement market with a completely bland, almost bored attitude.

Just assume that most claims are bull, remember that the only things that move the needle to any great degree are regular resistance training and a good diet, and try not to buy into the hype behind a product.

Many whey protein manufacturers will make outrageous claims about their “miracle” products. Whey protein powders aren’t magical elixirs that will make muscle manifest overnight. You have to put the work into doing consistent resistance exercises. Look at what manufacturers put on their packaging and on their websites. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

When you’re checking labels on containers, make sure that you look at sugar and carb content. If there is a lot of sugar or carbs, avoid the product altogether. Some products have confusing labeling that attempts to conceal the fact that they contain a lot of carbs, sugars, or even saturated fats. Some manufacturers will even falsify labels to hide the existence of things like trans fats. If you see the word “hydrogenated”, put that container back on the shelf and walk away.

Speaking of making things look better than they really are, have a look at the serving size, and make sure that you’re getting a consistent idea of the nutrients. Sometimes you’ll see a protein advertised as having 30 grams of protein, for example, and then you’ll notice that it only has a little bit of fat.

Great, you think. However, upon closer inspection you realize that 30 grams of protein comes from a THREE SCOOP serving size, whereas the low fat content was being used from a ONE SCOOP serving size. Sometimes this sort of thing actually still happens, so just be aware of serving size marketing, too.

Make sure you check to see that there are no artificial sweeteners or dyes if that’s something that is important to you.

I tend to believe that most of these artificial sweeteners and whatnot are mostly safe – not a lot of actual science is behind most of the fear tactics their opponents use – but use of artificial sweeteners have reportedly caused people to steer away from eating naturally sweet foods and consume increasing amounts of unhealthy, highly-processed foods, because they think they’re “healthy”.

Now, I am going to trust you are not the type to overeat just because something isn’t made with actual sugar, but we had to put that there just in case…

Top 4 Whey Protein Powders

So, which product is the best whey protein? Let’s dive into our top four picks.

Protein

24g

Price

$

Our Rating

Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard truly is the gold standard. It’s basically the least offensive offering on the market.

It’s got a decent amount of protein with about 24 grams per serving, and is a mainstay in the industry, typically delivering a really high quality product.

You’ve got a load of selection with 20+ flavors. As with anything, try a smaller bottle before committing to a huge tub of it. I speak from experience with this product specifically!

I typically get the Double Chocolate. However, I went to order from Amazon one time and they didn’t have any in stock. I figured the Extreme Milk Chocolate couldn’t be that much different and ordered it. Bad move! I had to suffer through an entire jug of the stuff that was nowhere near the same as the Double Chocolate.

It mixes really well, and goes in just about anything fine…milk, water, shakes, and even coffee.

Pros

  • TASTE: Many protein powders taste downright awful regardless of which flavor you try. This isn't the case with Optimum Nutrition (exceptions apply as I just told you, ha). You can buy any one of their several-dozen flavors and be almost guaranteed a good taste.
  • BEST-SELLER: Pretty much the best selling protein powder there is. It’s not always true, but the best selling product in any category must have something going for it. This is just no frills, good protein content, solid ingredients, and it works. 
  • WORKS: Works for almost anyone. There are no fancy ingredients or proprietary formulas to make you worry. Gym rats, average Joes, grandads...you’re basically covered and don’t have to worry about “grass is greener” thoughts if you’re taking this. Just works, you know?
  • VALUE: Super cheap compared to the others on our list, but still a very solid ingredient list, with no BS marketing claims and no filler.

Cons

  • DIGESTION: Unfortunately, it looks like Optimum Nutrition has removed Aminogen from their ingredients list. Aminogen is loaded with digestive enzymes that helped to ease the body's digestion of the formula. The loss of this particular ingredient has turned some formerly loyal consumers away from the product.
  • QUALITY CONTROL: There have been reports of customers who ordered their product online from the company receiving damaged or tampered-with goods. While this does not impact the quality of the product itself, it's just a problem because it's such a popular product everyone wants to get in on it and make some money. If in doubt, check the actual ON site to see who is a legit distribution partner and who isn’t.

Protein

22g

Price

$$$

Our Rating

We’ve been a fan of Legion for awhile now. They create products with the least amount of ingredients necessary to achieve their goal, and back up all the ingredients with actual studies.

Kind of like how we like to do things here at Man Revived.

This is really surprising for a supplement company, actually, and while that’s a sad realization of the industry as a whole (shouldn’t all companies strive to provide science-based reasons for their decisions?), it’s a really positive thing for Legion.

Whey+ is very basic, and that’s what we love about it.

It’s a bit more expensive than most other proteins, with one of the highest cost/weight ratios of the ones on this list, but if you’re looking for a natural product that doesn’t skimp on quality, look no further.

They use whey isolate, which is 90% protein by weight (very little carbs/fats), which is also from the milk of cows that have not been given hormones or antibiotics. 

Pros

  • QUALITY: By far one of the best protein powders out there, because it's made with only whey isolate, includes no fillers, and has barely any ingredients - plus, those ingredients are natural ones and all serve a purpose.
  • AMAZING WHEY: They only use whey isolate, which has fewer carbs/fats than other types of whey, contains almost no lactose, and mixes better than the other types.
  • HORMONE-FREE COWS: Whey actually comes from real milk from real cows. Sometimes it's easy to forget this! But with Whey+, you can rest assured that the cows from which the milk comes are not treated with antibiotics or hormones, meaning if you believe the studies, you're less at risk of certain diseases.
  • NO JUNK: Legion prides itself on only including ingredients that move the needle, and leaving out all the rest of the junk most companies throw into their blends.

Cons

  • PRICE: More expensive than the other powders on this list, typically.
  • TASTE: While this is obviously very personal, you might find that some of the flavors turn you off, specifically in terms of the amount of sweetness. They do use stevia, which is a natural sweetener, but for some people Legion misses the mark in terms of flavoring their protein.

Protein

25g

Price

$$$

Our Rating

You might be noticing a trend here, and I hope it’s giving you a chance to realize that gimmicks are usually BS and are not worth paying for.

With Naked Whey coming right after Legion’s filler-free offering, you should be seeing that we’re recommending only the basic, main-ingredient packed items that will actually do something to build your muscles.

It can be easy to fall into the trap of believing the crap marketing behind some of these products, but when you look at ingredients and realize they’re full of “protein blends” that include a tiny bit of whey isolate, and a whole bunch of lower quality whey and even egg protein (not bad, but not when you’re paying for whey), you realize you’re being served a steaming pile of you know what.

Naked Whey is the exact opposite of those jargon-filled, BS marketing companies.

The whole goal of the company is transparency, and it literally shows with both their naming (Naked), and their jugs, which are clear.

There is literally only one ingredient in this powder, and that is whey protein concentrate from grass-fed cows.

The Naked Whey version of this may be OK if you’re mixing it with smoothies and whatnot, but if you’re using it plain, it may be better to go with one of their “Less Naked” versions, which include organic coconut sugar and natural chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry flavoring.

Pros

  • ONLY WHEY: There is literally nothing else in this Naked Whey protein powder. Just whey concentrate. And at 25g per serving, it packs a good amount of the stuff! 
  • LOW FAT, LOW CARB, LOW CALORIE: Because it's just one ingredient, it's got really good, low quantities of the stuff you don't necessarily care about in a protein powder, specifically fats, carbs, and calories.
  • GRASS-FED COWS: If milk products from grass-fed cows are important to you, then this is a no-brainer. The grass-fed cows they get the milk from are raised on small farms in California. They're committed to bringing you the whey with as few steps between their farms and your house as possible.
  • NATURAL: OK, this product only has one ingredient so how many ways can you say it, but seriously, this is insane that this is like the only company to offer a decent whey-only option. How can it not be natural when it's just whey from milk? 

Cons

  • PRICE: Pretty expensive compared to other protein powders, which is strange considering there's literally only one ingredient.
  • TASTE: If you go for the Naked option, and not one of the naturally flavored versions, you'll probably want to make sure you're putting it into a smoothie or something. Sure you can gulp it down, but it's pretty plain and not exactly taste-bud stimulating.
  • CONCENTRATE, NOT ISOLATE: There's nothing wrong with whey concentrate, but if you're the type to look into taking a product that's only one ingredient, you may want to make the most of it and get an isolate, which has lower lactose, fats, and carbs. Not a major issue, but stops the product from being a 10/10.

Protein

21g

Price

$$$$

Our Rating

We looked and looked for another protein powder to add to this list, and were having a hard time.

Originally we were looking at including 5 on this list. But as we did our research, we noticed that we either had to pick a filler-filled crappy protein to recommend (no way), or we’d be rehashing the same stuff over and over, just with a smaller company that made a fairly good, no filler protein.

If you’ve got a problem with one of these companies, that’s cool, there’s probably another similar one offering a decent option, but for us, that wasn’t a big enough reason to take up your time reading this article.

Instead, we finally settled on this option, even though it’s way more expensive than anything else on here (and that includes fairly pricey options with Naked and Legion).

For those protein connoisseurs among us who are also die-hard organic food eaters, we figured we’d give you an option to keep within the organic family.

As is our preference, this protein has only a few ingredients, all organic: whey protein concentrate, cocoa powder, and stevia leaf powder.

Obviously with so few ingredients, if they don’t get the mix quite right, you may find yourself one of the few people out there who find that it doesn’t taste great. However, you should be alright, as the taste is pretty “normal”, all things considered.

It has a fair amount of protein, and it’s organic, and it’s got only 3 ingredients, so it hits the mark there.

But this is really a protein for those of us who absolutely must have organic, and who have the budget to dedicate to it, because you don’t get a lot for the price you pay.

Pros

  • ORGANIC: Only three ingredients and they're all organic. If this is a must-have for you, then this is your protein powder.
  • NATURAL, NO FILLER: As noted, only 3 ingredients means no room for fillers and other junk. Just stevia, which is a natural sweetener, a natural flavor, and whey protein concentrate.
  • GRASS-FED COWS: Going further with the "nice to have" for most people, is the fact that not only is this organic, but the whey is derived from the milk of grass-fed cows in sunny California. Not a deal breaker for most, but for those of you who are looking for just this combination of features, it's got the good ones.

Cons

  • PRICE: Almost 2x as expensive per pound as the other expensive items on this list.

The Final Word

We’ve very consciously selected only quality, no-BS options here. 

You won’t find Muscle Milk, Syntha6, or any other shiny, marketing-driven companies.

These are specifically chosen for men who want to get the most out of their fitness journey, without becoming a slave to it. That includes actually getting good results from your protein, which typically only happens when you’re ingesting mostly natural ingredients, and not crappy filler products.

At the end of the day, most people will be served perfectly well with Optimum Nutrition’s Gold Standard Whey Protein.

However, the reason we added the others is because not every product is perfect for everyone, obviously. So if taste, or specific ingredients, or organic is important to you, choose one of the others. 

Whatever you choose from this page, they’re all no-BS options and they’ll all do you well.

Just make sure you’re relying on whole foods as well as getting a boost from your protein powder, and aim for 0.7-1 gram of protein per bodyweight if you’re lifting and active regularly.

Reviews of The Best Egg White Protein Powders For Men To Build Muscle

Eggs pack a huge protein punch for their size, and are some of the best foods to eat if you’re looking to add extra protein to your diet.

It’s no wonder, then that it also makes a great protein powder, because you can concentrate the effectiveness of the protein source even more.

Imagine if Gaston lived today, he wouldn’t need to eat 5 dozen eggs. Just down a few egg protein shakes and be done with it. Sounds like a lot less hassle, right?

Egg protein powder is a great, animal-product alternative for people who are sensitive or intolerant to lactose, and who do not want to use a plant-based protein.

There are indeed some decent plant based proteins, but they’re usually not as high in protein as egg, and the taste and mixability can leave a lot to be desired.

So, if you’re supposed to eat them for breakfast, why not add them to your diet in a protein shake?

Rating The Top 2 Egg White Protein Powders

Rank

Egg White Protein Powder

Quality

Our Rating

Price

#1. 

(EDITOR'S CHOICE)

A

#2.

A

What Are The Benefits Of Egg Protein Powder?

One scoop of egg protein powder is typically about the equivalent of eating 4 eggs. So you’re getting all the goodness of the egg whites you eat in the morning, just super easy to consume and a great way to get a lot of extra protein into your diet to hit your muscle building goals.

It’s also a fantastic option if you’re not into whey protein due to a lactose intolerance, or the fact that whey just doesn’t sit well with you. Most people look to plant proteins, without even realizing that egg protein powder is an option.

Beef protein is another animal-based option for people who don’t want whey or plant protein, but egg protein is more likely to taste less…meaty, and is a really good alternative to whey. And hey, it’s paleo friendly!

Egg is also one of the 5 foods that have a Protein Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score of 1, which means that it is one of the best sources of quality protein you can find. The test is based on human needs, and basically, scoring a 1 means that once the protein is digested, you’ll be getting 100% of the necessary amino acids.

Other foods that scored 1 were cow’s milk, casein, soy protein, and whey.

For reference, beef scores a 0.92, black beans score a 0.75, and peanuts score a 0.52.

Finally, it’s a great way to get your protein without screwing up your other macros, as most egg protein powders don’t have much in the way of carbs or fats.

Reviews Of The Best Egg Protein Powders

There are actually quite a few egg protein powders on the market, so there’s a lot of info to sort through.

We are only including our reviews of the top 2 products we found. Some taste absolutely awful, some have less than ideal ingredients including soy lecithin (rather than the preferred sunflower lecithin emulsifier), and some just had such low levels of protein compared to our top picks that we wondered what the problem was.

You can certainly go through the other 12+ egg protein powders on the market, but these were the best of the best, which we hope saves you time and the hassle of wondering what to choose!

#1. Naked Egg Protein (EDITOR’S CHOICE)

Naked specializes in making products with as few ingredients as possible, and ensures there’s no filler or anything they’d feel the need to hide.

We like them because they’re straight forward, always offer a lot of what you’re looking for (protein in this case), and they give 3 basic options: unflavored, chocolate, and vanilla.

The unflavored version is just egg white protein and sunflower lecithin. The flavored versions use coconut sugar (much lower on the glycemic scale than most other sugars. So even though you may be concerned about the sugar on the label, it’s about the best kind of sugar that can be added to a product like this) and natural flavors.

Ingredients-wise, there’s nothing to complain about.

They even use non-GMO eggs, sourced from US farms, if you care about that kind of thing.

They manage to get 25g of protein in each serving, which is fairly high. Each serving of the vanilla has only 2g of carbs and 110 calories, so you can have as many scoops as you want throughout the day to boost your protein intake without compromising any other meals to hit your macros.

The biggest positive, other than the high levels of protein, is that the taste is a lot better than some others we tried, and it mixes fairly well.

We definitely prefer the flavored options over the unflavored stuff, though that’s the case for pretty much every company’s egg protein.

You can always add unflavored to foods or shakes that have a lot of other ingredients in them, but choking down plain egg powder is not typically a pleasant experience.

Naked’s entire brand stands on the fact that they don’t add anything unnecessary or unnatural to their products, and we’ve been impressed over a number of different categories that they seem to have high-impact products (25g of protein, for example), while staying true to their mission.

If you’re looking for a good, flavored egg protein powder, it doesn’t get much better than this. We considered adding another option here, but since there’s not a lot of differences between egg protein powders to really differentiate, the high protein content, high quality (natural) ingredients, and decent taste meant that we just had no reason to recommend anything else.

Our top pick, though try the chocolate or vanilla before the plain, if flavor is important to you.

>> Click Here To Learn More And See Prices <<

#2. Bulk Supplements Egg Protein

Much different than Naked, Bulk Supplements focus on getting you as much of a basic supplement as possible, with no frills and a low price.

This brand doesn’t bother with taste or making the labels and bags look fancy, they just buy a lot of ingredient, throw it in a basic bag, and ship it to you, which clearly gives you a much better bang for your buck than just about any other supplement company out there.

The only problem is that unflavored egg protein is not the most delicious thing in the world. However, this particular powder is palatable and isn’t prone to clumping or going all curdled looking like some of the others out there.

It’s a really basic, pure egg protein, with no additives, nothing to hide behind, and of course perhaps the best thing is, it’s way cheaper than many of the alternatives. It does only have 23g of protein, but really that’s still pretty high when you take the entire protein market into account.

A bit lower than the Naked brand above, but quite good overall.

So, can you choke it down without having it flavored in order to save the dough?

That becomes the question when making your decision.

The Naked protein is the best of the best, and we highly recommend it, but if cost is your number one motivator, you really can’t beat Bulk Supplements.

>> Click Here To Learn More And See Prices <<

FAQ

Is egg protein powder paleo?

Yes, usually.

If there’s only one ingredient, eggs, then it’s definitely paleo.

Most other products are also paleo, as they use natural sugars or sweeteners and other natural ingredients like emulsifiers.

Double check the ingredients to be sure, particularly if you’re getting a flavored kind of protein, but the general rule here is that yes, it’s a great paleo-friendly alternative to whey.

Can I mix it in a shake/smoothie like whey?

You bet.

Plain (unflavored) may not taste great by itself, so we recommend mixing it with something else. Whipping up a shake in the blender would be great, otherwise if you’ve got a flavored post-workout supplement, you can take those together.

A good egg protein should blend just like a whey protein, and not affect the quality or taste of the drink.

If you’re usually on the go when you want to consume your protein, get a flavored option like the Naked chocolate or Naked vanilla, as it’s much more appetizing than plain egg powder.

Best Creatine Monohydrate Powder Supplement Reviews For Men

Other than protein powder, creatine is usually the most popular supplement in a guy’s stack. If you’ve got your protein, and you can only pick one other thing, a lot of men will choose creatine.

At the most basic level, it should increase your strength. Obviously pretty awesome.

Basically, it gives you more energy, helps with protein synthesis by bringing more water to your cells, and basically allows you to get stronger by lifting heavier at the gym and bringing protein to your muscles to help them grow during recovery.

This is exactly the type of supplement we love to use here at Man Revived, because it is an easy way to maximize the time you’re spending in the gym. We’re all about maximizing your results in the most efficient way possible, so as long as your body gets the benefits of it, creatine is a great supplement to add to your routine.

You’ll often read that creatine is the most studied supplement in the world, as literally hundreds of scientific studies have been performed. So far, there has been an overwhelming amount of evidence that shows that creatine is the real deal, and basically no evidence of negative side effects.

There is some anecdotal evidence you’ll read about that suggests creatine will hurt your guts or your kidneys or something, but literally over all the studies, this has been found to be just that – anecdotal. Which means that people who say they have these symptoms are basically just as likely to have them as people who have taken a placebo.

Negative side effects are non-existent, yet hundreds of studies show huge benefits to active people from taking creatine.

Sounds like a winner! Let’s learn the best parts of it, and then we’ll give you our top 2 options on the market today.

Ratings Of The 2 Top Rated Creatine Supplements For Men

Rank

Creatine Powder

Quality

Our Rating

Price

#1. 

(EDITOR'S CHOICE)

A

#2.

A

Benefits Of Taking Creatine

Allows you to lift more and get stronger, giving you bigger muscles

Pretty much the number one reason to use this supplement, and probably the main reason you want to take creatine in the first place.

Many studies have proven it’s effectiveness in:

  1. Building muscle faster (Source)
  2. Enhancing muscle performance and body composition (Source)
  3. Increasing muscle strength and size (Source)
  4. Increasing strength and weightlifting performance (Source)

Basically creatine helps bring energy to your muscles, meaning fatigue will take longer to hit. And if your muscles aren’t as tired as they would be otherwise, you’ll be able to lift more and/or heavier than usual, allowing for more of a breakdown of the muscle, which, paired with solid recovery, means a bigger, stronger muscle.

Helps recovery

Speaking of recovery, creatine has been shown to aid in muscle recovery, both in terms of recovery after an injury, and in terms of recovery after exercise.

This is one of the reason’s you’ll find creatine in post-workout supplements.

Increasing your gains while decreasing your recovery pains is just about as good as it gets.

Good for your brain

A 2002 study found that, “creatine supplementation displayed neuroprotective effects in several animal models of neurological disease, such as Huntington’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis”.

They obviously follow up saying that it needs human studies, but that it is a promising ingredient for more broad applications including brain and heart health.

Another study just the next year (2003) found that, “Oral creatine supplementation significantly increased brain concentrations of creatine and ATP to wild-type control levels, exerting a neuroprotective effect. These findings have important therapeutic implications, suggesting that creatine therapy initiated after diagnosis may provide significant clinical benefits to HD patients.”

Helps you age better

While sample sizes have been small, studies have shown promising results from creatine use for aging adults when it comes to retaining and building muscle mass, increasing strength, and functional performance, which is integral to healthy aging.

Even more effective for vegetarians

Since creatine is found naturally in meat like beef, tuna, salmon, and more, if you’re eating a nutritious, meat-filled diet, you’re already getting some extra creatine from food consumption.

Note that you’re still not getting the typical clinically effective dose of 5 grams (note that some studies show that 2g may be enough, but most use 5g as a baseline). Why not? Well, you’d have to eat a pound of beef to get about 2g of creatine. So, to get 5g from beef alone, you’d need to eat 40 ounces of steak.

That’s not a challenge. It’d be bloody difficult, no pun intended.

Now consider that through your diet you might be getting 1 or 2g of creatine every day if you eat meat. Now, remove the meat, and you’re left with a significantly lower amount of ingested protein in your daily diet.

So, for vegetarians, the effect of a creatine supplement will be even more pronounced. Going from nearly nothing in their regular diet to hitting clinically effective dosage will do a lot to gaining the benefits of creatine.

A 2003 study found the existence of “an ergogenic effect of Cr (Creatine) during resistance training and suggest that subjects with initially low levels of intramuscular Cr (vegetarians) are more responsive to supplementation.”

What Is The Best Type Of Creatine?

Alright, so there are a number of different types of creatine.

The one you’ve probably heard of it creatine monohydrate. It’s been studied the most (by far), it is what most supplements use, and it absolutely, definitively, works. There’s nothing wrong with it, and it is the main version of creatine you’ll find.

Because of all the tests confirming its usefulness, and because it is relatively inexpensive, we recommend looking for a creatine monohydrate supplement to ensure you’re getting the most bang for your buck.

The other options you’ll come across:

Creatine Citrate

Straight up just not as effective, so no need to pursue this guy any further!

Creatine Malate

Definitely works, but hasn’t been compared to monohydrate to tell if it’s any better. However, this study seems to suggest that a referenced Polish study shows that creatine malate “helps to avoid accumulating water in muscle cells as well as it is easierly [sic] absorbed from the digestive system, which coincides with better solubility in water.”

After translating what I believe to be the study from Polish to English, I couldn’t find this exactly, but then again, the chances of Google Translate understanding how to translate “Malate” and other niche science-y words doesn’t seem particularly high.

Creatine Ethyl Ester

It was found to be unlikely to produce any muscle building effects in this study, and straight up labelled as not as effective as creatine monohydrate in this study. No need to get any of this stuff.

Micronized Creatine

Do not be confused by this term!

You will see it more often these days, because it’s a cool new buzz word that companies can slap on their labels to trick you into thinking this is more effective. Classic supplement company, right?

In reality, micronized just means that it’s been processed such that the particles are smaller than normal creatine supplements. Benefits? Increases water solubility.

In other words, it dissolves in water better, which means you won’t be left with an undissolved sludge at the bottom of your cup after shaking it up in your blender bottle. So, you’ll be more likely to drink the entire serving size.

What it does NOT mean is better absorption into your muscles.

Micronized creatine is just creatine monohydrate made smaller, so it goes down better in a drink.

Not a bad idea, actually, but be very aware that it’s not anymore effective once you get it in your system than “normal” creatine.

Creatine Hydrochloride

There’s no research to show this is actually effective, nevermind more effective than monohydrate.

Creatine Nitrate

Has been proven to be about as effective as creatine monohydrate. It’s also been proven to be safe.

Good start, right?

The benefit of this is basically the same as micronized creatine, in that it is more water soluble, and therefore easier to drink.

Nothing really bad to say about this, but there’s no huge draw to take this instead of the significantly more studied monohydrate.

Creatine Magnesium Chelate

Works similarly to monohydrate, but not necessarily any better.

This is creatine bound to magnesium, which may help with creatine metabolism, but as there aren’t other studies, we’ll have to go with the one that does show that there’s not really a difference between this and monohydrate, which gives us no reason to move to this form of creatine.

Buffered Creatine

Companies say that because of the higher pH of this type of creatine, it outperforms regular old monohydrate. Not so, says this study, pretty explicitly. Stick with monohydrate!

Creatine Pyruvate

One study shows that this form of creatine may increase endurance performance, though this study shows that that may not be the case, at least for cyclers.

So, very niche examples, and contradictory evidence found in studies.

Overall, just stick with monohydrate. Micronized monohydrate is totally fine, just don’t waste your money on any of the other buzz words.

Reviews of The Best Creatine Supplements For Men

So, with all the marketing out there, trying to convince you that some new form of creatine is better than the last one, which one should you pick?

We’ve sifted through literally dozens of options, and have come up with just 2 options that we believe are the best choices you can make.

We originally were going to include more, but since there’s really not a lot of difference between any of them, we’re not going to complicate this…we’ll cut straight to the chase to save you time and make sure you’re getting results!

Our assumption here is that creatine monohydrate is the best form of creatine to use, and that simple is usually better in this case.

#1. Optimum Nutrition (ON) Micronized Creatine Powder (EDITOR’S CHOICE)

I’ve used Optimum Nutrition for as long as I can remember. They always seem to offer a no frills, effective product, and this creatine is probably the best option you’ll find.

First of all, it’s just so basic.

The only ingredient is creatine.

But it’s not just some random creatine, it’s Creapure, which is like the gold standard in the creatine world.

It is produced in Germany under the tightest and most exacting standards out there.

It is pure, and very unlikely to break down due to the high quality and controlled manufacturing.

In fact, Labdoor found that ON’s creatine had just 1.37 mg of creatinine, which put it below the 10th percentile in the overall test group of 26 products. That’s really good.

Basically it means that the creatine is not breaking down in the tub before you get a chance to use it.

Products with high levels of creatinine show that the creatine is being metabolized and giving off waste products, which means you’re not actually going to be consuming as much creatine as the bottle claims, meaning you’re getting less value.

Labdoor also showed that ON creatine included 5.25g of creatine per serving, a bit more than their claimed 5g.

While this is technically an inaccurate label, at least it’s inaccurate on the high side, rather than the more prevalent supplement practice of including fewer ingredients in the product. The extra .25g won’t make a big difference, but it’s nice that they’re not skimping.

ON’s commitment to simplicity, their choice to use Creapure, and the fact that they actually include all the creatine (and then some) that they say they do, means it’s super easy to love this product.

Oh, and if you care about this kind of stuff, they’ve got nearly 4000 reviews on Amazon with 86% of those being 4 or 5 stars. That’s insane.

It works, it’s a best seller, and it’s pure, good old fashioned creatine monohydrate.

They do say that it is micronized, which isn’t hugely useful, as it just means it dissolves slightly better in your drink. Not a big deal either way.

We highly recommend Optimum Nutrition for pretty much every man looking for creatine, as you can’t really go wrong here.

In fact, we were going to include another brand here but after looking into it some more and having a think, we realized that if you’re looking for a creating supplement that just plain works at a reasonable price, that you can trust, ON is the way to go.

We’ll include one other option below but it’s more of a post-workout option in case you want something a little more than just plain creatine, but most of the time, this ON creatine is all you’ll need.

>> Click Here To Learn More And See Prices <<

#2. Legion Recharge

Going out on a bit of a limb here as this isn’t a pure creatine product, but it’s still really simple and we like that.

While it doesn’t REALLY matter when you take your creatine during the day, many people suggest that taking it after a workout is when it’s most useful and best absorbed (here’s a study confirming that there’s a slight increase in fat-free mass and one-rep-max bench press with post-workout creatine supplementation).

Legion keeps things simple and doesn’t buy into the hype of a lot of other supplement companies.

Their post-workout only has 3 active ingredients, including 5g of creatine.

There are a lot of other post-workouts that have like a dozen ingredients you can’t pronounce, each apparently offering to turn you into a superhuman, some of which don’t make any sense.

If the point is to maximize the work you just put into the gym, because you don’t have 3 hours/day to lift weights and eat 100% perfect, then this is a great product.

So you get your clinically proven dose of creatine, then you get L-Carnitine L-Tartrate.

Now what the heck is that?

Well, carnitine plays a role in regenerating cellular energy, and tartrate is a salt that helps nutrients absorb better and faster into your body. We love seeing products that include ingredients that work well together to increase absorption rates, as once again, it’s a maximization tactic to give you the best bang for your buck.

This ingredient will help your muscles recover from a workout (actual muscle repair and associated soreness), and also improves insulin sensitivity. Once again with a clinically proven dose, Legion gives it to you with 2.1g of L-Carnitine L-Tartrate.

That’s a smart move in our books.

Finally, Corosolic Acid from the banaba plant.

The boost to insulin signaling that you’ll get from this ingredient will not only help get the creatine to your cells, but will also improve the effect of the carbs you consume post-workout.

Some believe that it’s important to replenish glycogen levels after a workout by consuming carbs that will be used quickly, such as dextrose…like in gummy bears.

We typically prefer to focus on the 20% of things that get 80% of the results, and so suggest that while there may be some research backing this up (there’s also some refuting the importance), it’s probably not a major issue and won’t drastically impact your body.

So, we’ll applaud this ingredient mainly for the fact that it will maximize the usefulness of the most important ingredient, creatine.

If getting the most bang for your buck and increasing the absorption of the creatine you consume is important, this is a pretty cool product.

I also love that it uses red beet juice powder for color, rather than an artificial dye. Plus, they use Stevia, instead of an artificial sweetener. It’s that kind of attention to not adding crappy ingredients that made me first take a deeper look into Legion.

>> Click Here To Learn More And See Prices <<

FAQ

What’s the best type of creatine for building muscle?

Creatine Monohydrate has, by far, the most research behind it. And pretty much all of that research has proven that it is very effective at increasing strength and muscle.

How and when do I take it? Do I need to load?

Usually you’ll just mix it with some water (shaker bottle will do the trick) and drink it, though you could always add it to your post-workout protein shake.

While you could take it at any time and still see benefits, it seems that most people believe that taking it post-workout gives the best benefits, as it is absorbed best at that point.

In terms of loading, you don’t need to, but you can speed up the time in which your body actually uses/utilizes the creatine by spending 5-7 days “loading”, which just means taking 3-4 times the daily serving. Once you’ve done that, just consume at one serving per day (including rest days), and you’ll be good.

Do I need to cycle?

No, there’s no evidence that cycling with creatine is safer or more effective.

Is it bad for your kidneys?

No, there is no evidence that creatine is bad for your kidneys.

Does it cause bloating?

Some people report that since creatine brings water into your cells, you will get a bloated look and/or feeling. There’s no scientific research to back this up, but a lot of anecdotal evidence is out there saying that guys feel and look bigger and fuller for awhile when taking creatine.

Many companies now say that the creatine is so pure and absorbs so well that water retention is not an actual issue.

What are the side effects?

More strength and bigger muscles. Nothing negative found in the scientific literature.

Who should take creatine?

Everyone looking to make the most out of their time in the gym. It is seriously one of the most-studied supplements, and has been proven time and time again to increase your strength and muscle mass along with a good diet and time in the gym.

Should I take creatine with anything else?

You don’t have to, but you may find it more effective in a post-workout like the one from Legion we recommend. You can take it after a workout by itself or in your protein shake.

Is it safe to take long term?

So far there have been no studies to indicate that taking creatine long-term is risky or harmful.

The Best Beef Protein Powders for Men in 2018 Reviewed

Beef protein is a relatively new form of concentrated/powdered protein.

When it first came out, so called beef protein powders were basically just adding collagen or gelatin, which would of course up the protein amount, but kind of limit the whole draw of having straight up beef be the main protein factor.

Specifically, these older proteins are low in BCAAs, which are basically the muscle building amino acids. So, while the protein content would look good on the packaging, the actual amino acid profile would not be very useful for repairing and growing muscle tissue.

Lately, however, there have been advancements in how we can actually get protein from beef without having to top it up with a variety of things (one of the biggest supplement companies actually included rice powder in their beef protein to boost total protein – wtf?).

One company has created beef protein isolate, which is a very concentrated and available form of protein (up to 98%). They’re called Hydro Beef and BeefISO, both of which have trademarks.

The only difference is that BeefISO is “US origin and is not grass fed material”, according to Prinova (we emailed them to ask), who produces the product, whereas “Hydrobeef material is manufactured in Sweden. This material is grass fed.”

The proteins we recommend use these or similar forms of beef, which are much newer and much more closely resemble the amino acid profile of a hunk of actual meat, because finally, that’s what it actually is. And that’s pretty awesome. Steak protein, baby!

Rating The Top 4 Best Beef Protein Powders

Rank

Beef Protein Powder

Quality

Our Rating

Price

#1.

(EDITOR'S CHOICE)

A

#2.

A

#3.

A

#4.